The Fall Final will be 50 multiple choice questions taken directly from the quizzes in your online textbook resource at An Introduction to the World's Oceans, 10th Edition
It will have questions from the following chapters: 1-4, 7-8, 13-16, 18
1. You should be able to answer the following questions in preparation for your exam:
2. What was the main purpose of the Challenger expedition?
3. What is oceanography? Why is it considered an interdisciplinary science? What other science does oceanography incorporate? Give an example of each.
4. How does the relationship between the earth and sun determine the seasons? The equinoxes? The amount of daylight experiences at different latitudes and longitudes on the planet?
5. What are the parts of the hydrologic cycle? Define each? How do they cycle?
6. What are lines of latitude and longitude? How are they alike? How are they different? How do they change across the globe? Give examples of each.
7. What are Earth’s 5 oceans? Where are they located? How are they alike and different from each other?
8. What is GPS? How does it work? How is it used?
9. What are the 4 major layers of the earth? What is each layer composed of? How are they alike and different? Where are they located with respect to each other?
10. What are Pangaea, Gondwanaland and Laurasia? Where were they located? What do scientists hypothesize about these land masses?
11. Compare and contrast passive and active continental margins? What causes each? What are examples of each? Where can they be found?
12. What are characteristics of vent communities? Where are they found? What organisms can be found there and what adaptations do they have that allows them to be successful in this ecosystem? How are they different from other marine ecosystems? How does primary production occur?
13. What is an active continental rift? What causes it? Where can they be found? Give an example.
14. What are the geological features of the ocean floor? What forms and characterizes each? What would I expect to encounter if moving from the shore to open ocean?
15. What are turbidity currents? What causes them? What can they cause? Where are they found?
16. What are the 3 different types of coral reefs? How are they formed? How are they similar to and different from each other? What types of organisms build coral reefs?
17. What devices are used to take samples of ocean sediments? How do they work?
18. What spheres are found on earth? Describe them? What are the layers of the atmosphere? How are they alike and different from each other?
19. How does density affect the movement of solids, liquids and gasses? Give examples in the atmosphere, lithosphere and hydrosphere.
20.What are the parts of the carbon cycle? Define each? How do they cycle? How have they changed on Earth over time? How does man affect the carbon cycle? How and what type of carbon is absorbed by plants? By animals?
21. What is upwelling? What causes it and what does it cause? (How does it affect ecosystems?) Where is it like to be found?
22.Define thermocline? What causes it and what does it cause? Where is it like to be found?
23.Define gyre? What causes it and what does it cause? Where are the 5 ocean gyres found? In what direction do they rotate and why?
24.Define Ekman spiral/transport? What causes it and what does it cause? In what direction do they rotate and why?
25.What are the parts of the nitrogen cycle? Define each? How do they cycle? How does man affect the nitrogen cycle? How and what type of nitrogen is absorbed by plants? By animals?
26.How do pesticides and excess nutrients affect the biogeochemical cycles?
27.What is biomagnification/bioaccumulation? How does it happen? What type of organisms are most affected by it?
28.What are the ocean life zones? Define each one, where it is found and the types of organisms that are found in it. What specific adaptations do organisms have they make them success in these Zones?
29.What is an energy pyramid? What are the different trophic levels in it? What type of organism(s) is(are) found in each trophic level? How do they interact with each other? How does the energy flow? How much energy flows between trophic levels? How are they related to food webs?
30.Define primary production. How is it generated? How do plankton relate to primary productivity?
31. What is a “bloom”? What causes it? What does it cause?
32.What is plankton? What are the different types? Why are they keystone species?